Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Grandad's 100th Birthday Party

Earlier this month we all made the trek out to North Carolina for my great-grandad's ONE HUNDREDTH birthday party.  Yes, I said 100!  He is so sweet and still remembers EVERYTHING about EVERYONE. It's amazing.  We gave him a graduation photo of me and one of Catherine's senior pictures.  He has pictures ALL OVER his house.  Since we all live so far away, he likes to have recent photos of all of us as a constant reminder.  We also gave him a Razorback puzzle - he likes to sit and work puzzles and absolutely LOVED it.

We also have a group picture with him and all the family at his actual birthday party - I'll have to remember to scan it and post later.  He had such a great time.  My uncle put together a slide show with all of his old pictures and all of his friends from church came by to wish him a happy birthday. We were so blessed to be able to spend it with him.  He really is a special man.

Here is my family with great-grandad on his birthday morning.  Dad is still rocking the beard from the Stone Ward Movember mustache competition.

Going to the grandparents' house means playing with the horses and farm animals.  These two handsome men are Duke and Dan, my grandpa's carriage horses (yes, carriage horses.) Catherine does much better on the horses than I do - I love them but riding terrifies me - you never know when they'll run off!  All of my grandpa's horses are very well-mannered don't get me wrong, I'm just not as adventurous as she is.


Here's me with I think Dan (they look the same to me haha)


However, there were four of us riding, (me, Catherine, my dad and my uncle) so Catherine and I got stuck with these guys - the mules.  They are taller than the horses and equally well behaved, but aren't so much "pets" as the horses so their names are pretty much just "Mule 1" and "Mule 2."  We had a great time though! 


Lilly's reaction to the horses was hilarious.  She had never seen one before and I slowly walked her down to the barn so she wouldn't freak out, but she saw them in the pasture before we could even get there and FROZE IN HER TRACKS.  She looked up at me and back at the horse, and back at me and back at the horse, and started slowly backing back up the hill - it was SO hard for me to not laugh.  Later on when we were all saddling up to ride, she warmed up to them.  Still kept her distance though.


My grandma had just gotten a new friend a few months before, a Sheltie named Maisy.  She is precious!  She is only nine months old and is a HOOT.  She wanted to go everywhere we did.


Lilly was a little skeptical; she doesn't like when other dogs get attention from us!  They ended up being inseparable though, we could hardly get them to stop playing!


Here is my grandma with sweet Maisy, sleeping. 


And Catherine's favorite, the cat Willie.  He kind of shied away the whole time we were there because of the dogs, but made cameo appearances every now and then.  Isn't he pretty?


It was so great to get to go and see everyone.  We rarely get the chance to all make the 12-hour trip up there, so getting to be in the same house as my grandparents and (almost) all of my cousins was so much fun!  I hope we get the chance to see them all again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment